Tuesday, September 01, 2009

I hate SUVs. Though some people call 'em 'cars'

I'd buy one, had I been a Real Estate agent, because for a few lakhs, I'd be getting more Real Estate, I'd be getting more floor area, more shopping space etc. These are concerns, usually in the minds of real estate agents or a home buyer. Not a car buyer in any imaginable sense to me.

Anyway, they have some peculiar advantages of their own. If I bought one,I'd be carrying more metal wherever I'm going, I'd be seeing truck drivers searching for cushions to put on their seats, to match my driving height, I'd be seeing more people moving out of my way, I'd be safer when I hit others. I'd be happier keeping my car on weigh bridge than on a road because it's where I can prove my car has something more than my neighbor's, I'd be... like that.

Those SUV owners live in a world a few centuries ago, when there were no roads or bridges. I'm quite sure that many of them had in their minds a concern of safety in case of a crash, when buying their cars. It's a known fact that SUVs crash easier than sedans, because they don't have proper control once they go to the other side of 160. But they say it's safer than a sedan, once it crashes somewhere. So they are surely gonna crash it, just because they bought it to crash. And if they don't crash, the few extra bucks they spent for purchasing the obese, unmovable automobile will be wasted, and the extra gallons of fuel they've been spending in moving the most reluctant of things, will be for nothing. The more they think about this, the more they want to hit someone who doesn't have similar huge automobiles as theirs.

But I agree one thing: It's one of the best ways to mock the government. It's like saying " See what I'm driving on the roads made by you". Wish the govt would ever mind that! If I were the ruler here, I'd have had given a serious thought why these many people are using SUVs on my roads. And I'd immediately give orders to mend the roads everywhere in my country. I think our govt is not that good.

Last day I saw a BMW X5 on the NH - 49. I followed it for some time on my bike. I couldn't help thinking good of him would it be, had he driven through the nearby bushes and wastelands, since his 4X4 is capable of doing that, and with the help of his SUV friends, he could try to shape an impromptu answer for the perennial question of road infrastructure development in our hyper crowded state. Way To Go !!! :)

2 comments:

Ajesh said...

Daa.. although I don't agree with your views, the beauty of your language continue to amaze me..

Sanjeev said...

good